Wednesday, October 15, 2008

By the Beautiful Seaside

The two days we spent on Islay were the most beautiful of all. We could see a beach from the old parish church where my Currie's worshipped back in the mid 1800's. So we went out to enjoy. Of course I had to stay fairly covered to protect my skin from the sun. But I loved just watching the water come in. I couldn't go exploring with Dennis on the rocks as the feet neuropathy was unpredicable. I hadn't packed enough meds for it so I was on 1/3 dosage the entire trip.

The water was so clear. I wonder if my ancestors ever had the time to enjoy this great view?



Dennis found some great plant life on the cliffs (just for you, Aaron).




Picking up the algae brought back wonderful memories of tidepooling along the Washington coast. Some of the specimens I recognized from previous experiences. Others would need to be researched. No, I spared the passengers on our return flight. I left the samples on the beach. (Oh, if only Mom would have been so kind when we travelled in the van! :))









Wouldn't my first graders had loved these samples as we made our mural of the sea in April?
"Oh, those were the days, my friends, we thought they'd never end...." Yes, Alison, we sang a lot on this trip.

1 comment:

Robinson Duffy said...

You just had to collect seaweed,didn't you! ;0)

I remember that quest to find turkish towel that one summer in California...I can't remember, though, did we ever find it?